Planning Department staff have teamed up with University of Oregon students and community members to identify and nominate four new additions to the Eugene's City Landmark Inventory. The properties include three residential buildings and Pre's Rock. In a few weeks, the citizen-comprised Historic Review Board (HRB) will review the landmark applications. Landmark status encourages protection and recognizes the significance historic community resources.
Additionally, the landmarks should increase community and visitor awareness of Eugene's history. Staff and the HRB hope that these new landmarks will also encourage more awareness and support for the Historic Preservation Program.
This year, the current landmark nominations are a product of staff's proactive approach. Staff reviewed a recent historic resource survey of the West University Neighborhood and identified a number of historic properties. Staff reached out to owners of these eligible properties and inquired about their interest in the City Landmark program. Through a partnership with the University of Oregon, staff were also able to inform owners that graduate students would be made available to research their property and draft a historic nomination application. Over their winter term, graduate students in the Historic Preservation Program researched and compiled intensive property histories and descriptions. Next, with approval from each property owner, Program Assistant Rodney Bohner finalized the research and filed the landmark applications of those properties confirmed as significant and retaining historic integrity.
Andrew Fisher, Vice-Chair of the Historic Review Board, initiated the historic research for the Pre's Rock nomination. Andrew also complied the application materials and wrote the narrative for the City Landmark application. The City of Eugene Parks and Open Space Division is the applicant for the proposal as they manage the park land where Pre's Rock is located.
The other potential landmarks include a West University property with an 1880's Italianate house and three early 1900's cottages. There is also a duplex designed by prolific Eugene architect John Hunzicker, and a craftsman style house on East 11th Avenue. The Historic Review Board will decide on approval at their upcoming meeting on September 1st. They will also consider public testimony and any other materials presented at the public hearing before making decisions on the applications.