Get or Renew a Library Card
|UPDATE: Click here for current information about library cards and other services. Information on this page may not apply right now. For assistance or to get a library card, please call 541-682-5450. |
Are Library cards free?
- Cards are free to all City of Eugene residents or property owners. Check if your residential address is in the City limits.
- Others can purchase a card (gift certificates are available).
How do I get a card?
- Visit any Library location.
- Bring current government-issued photo ID and proof of current address. A current Oregon drivers license meets both requirements. Other accepted documents
- Complete a brief application form. If you like, print and complete the form to bring with you: English (PDF) or Español (PDF)
Renewing a Library card
- When it’s time to renew, clear all charges on your account (online or in person).
- Cards are renewed in person. Bring your Library card, current government-issued photo ID, and accepted proof of current address.
Other types of cards
- Non-resident card (for those not eligible for a free card)
- Homebound Services
- Institutional Borrower card
For youth under age 16
- Visit any location with a parent or legal guardian. He or she will need to show the accepted documents.
- If necessary, you can take an application to your parent to sign. Return it with any one of the items from the accepted documents list, in your parent’s name.
- If you have a legal guardian, he or she must come to the Library in person to show court-approved documents of guardianship in addition to the accepted documents.
- There is no minimum age for getting a library card.
- You are responsible for all materials borrowed, and any fines, fees or misuse of the card.
- To protect your account’s confidentiality and security, treat your Library card the same as a bank card. Don’t lend it to anyone, share your password, or write it on the card.
- Update your account whenever there are changes to your name, address, phone, or email address.
- Lost or stolen cards should be reported to the Library immediately. There is a replacement card fee.
Library services that require a card
- Ability to borrow materials including books, eBooks, audiobooks, CDs, downloadable music, and DVDs. Loan polices
- Access to the Info Hub and other online services 24/7.
- Use of computers to access the Internet (3-hour per day limit).
- Access to activities and tools in the Maker Hub (Downtown Library).
Services available without a Eugene Public Library card
- Assistance of staff in person, online and by phone.
- Limited use of computers to access the Internet.
- On-site wireless Internet access.
- Use of all materials at any EPL location, including books, online resources, Microsoft Office software, magazines and newspapers.
- Events and classes for all ages.
Other local libraries
- Lane Community College Library
- A Community Borrower Card is available for purchase by any Lane County resident.
- Springfield Public Library
- Residents of the City of Springfield support their library through taxes; non-resident cards are available for purchase.
- University of Oregon Libraries
- Oregon residents age 16 and older are eligible for the UO Oregon Card.