The Finance Division is responsible for maintaining the financial integrity of the City and providing a wide range of financial support services. Our mission is to support City staff, policy makers and citizens by providing quality financial services and information to promote prudent decision making that maintains long-term financial stability.
Many City finance functions are centralized for efficiency and to ensure compliance with legal and professional requirements. Primary functions include:
- Developing financial forecasts and financial planning information
- Preparing the annual budget, supporting the Budget Committee and providing on-going monitoring of the budget throughout the year
- Procuring goods and services at the best value and within state and local rules and regulations
- Paying vendors and employees
- Providing cashiering and accounts receivable services
- Overseeing all financial transactions and preparing the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report
- Planning, issuing and managing the City’s debt
- Investing public funds and ensuring efficient banking services for all City operations
- Assisting City departments with advice as needed on various financial issues.
The work of the Finance Division has been recognized by national organizations for excellent information, programs and services. The Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada (GFOA) has awarded the City of Eugene the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award for its budget each year since the program was created in 1984, and awarded the Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting every year since 1976. The Purchasing Office was awarded the Achievement of Excellence in Procurement Award for 2011 from the National Procurement Institute. These awards reflect the commitment of the governing body and staff to meeting the highest principles of governmental budgeting, accounting and procurement.