Event Insurance

The Organizer is responsible for obtaining all necessary insurance required. The Organizer must submit all of the required permits to the City prior to the event and must submit an original copy of the Certificate of Liability Insurance to the City no later than fourteen (14) days prior to the event. 

General liability insurance is required for most special event permits needed to host your event. See “What qualifies as a special event?”

The following permits require providing proof of general liability insurance coverage of at least $2,000,000 per occurrence, and $3,000,000 aggregate. See List of Event Permits for more information on specific permits.

  • Private Use of Public Right-of-Way Permit
  • Special Use Permit in Parks and Open Space 
  • Fire Safety Permit
  • Commercial Construction Permit 
  • Oregon Liquor Control Commission Permit (When an event includes the sale/service of alcohol, liquor liability coverage in the amount of $2,000,000 per occurrence is also required.)
  • Parade Permit
  • Downtown Activity Zone Permit, including the Farmers Market Pavilion & Plaza

Event organizers will be asked to provide a certificate of insurance that meets these requirements, along with a separate endorsement form that names the City of Eugene as additionally insured. The policy must be a primary policy, not a policy that contributes to any coverage that the City may carry.

Event organizers should consult with their insurance agent or broker to secure insurance coverage that meets the City’s requirements. Special event insurance can also be purchased through a variety of insurance providers online.

The City of Eugene often utilizes a special event insurance provider that may be able to provide the coverage you need for your small-scale event. K & K Insurance for small scale events that is specifically designed for rental of City facilities and parks. For more information go to K & K Insurance and click “Buy Online” and then enter “City of Eugene” as the facility name and choose Oregon under “Facility State”. Hit the “Search” button and a drop-down menu lists all applicable City facilities/parks. You can complete the application and pay on-line. A certificate of insurance will be emailed to you that you can provide to the City prior to your event. You can also consult with your insurance agent about alternate coverage options under an existing homeowner’s or business insurance policy.

Other resources for Event Insurance are:

NOTE: Permittee must agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the City, its officers, agents and employees from and against all claims for injury or damage that may arise out of any activity occurring at the event for which the applicant seeks a City permit.

For further questions regarding insurance requirements, contact Risk Services at 541-682-5662.

Contact Us

  1. Community & Cultural Affairs Senior Manager

    Colette Ramirez

    Ph: 541-682-6347