Filing a Complaint

Filing a Complaint
To file a complaint about a potential violation, please provide the exact address of the property where you believe a violation exists, or the address of an adjacent property.
It is easier to locate and confirm a violation when you provide as much detail as possible. You can report it the following ways:
Building Codes and Work Without Permit- Complaints are accepted anonymously via e-mail or by mail, fax, phone or in person. It is helpful for you to provide contact information in case we have questions about your complaint. For questions, or more information, please call 541-682-5495.

Rental Housing Program
- Complaints can be submitted only after the tenant has communicated in writing to the owner or property manager and more than 10 days have passed. Use our online complaint form and include a copy of the tenant’s notice to the landlord. Complaints can be submitted by mail, e-mail, fax, and phone or in person. For questions, or more information, please call 541-682-8282.
Nuisance and Zoning - Complaints must be in writing. They can be submitted through our online form, or by mail, e-mail, fax or in person. Please provide contact information in case we have questions about your complaint, and indicate if you wish the complaint to be confidential. For questions, or more information, please call 541-682-5819.

How We Respond
Public health and safety are our first priority when staff investigates reports of potential violations. We also respond to community livability issues.

If the issue is not addressed by Planning & Development staff, we will provide a referral to the appropriate city or community resource that can help.

If the issue is covered by codes we enforce, staff will investigate and follow-up with the property owner and person who submitted the complaint. Our goal is to ensure livability and resolve compliance situations before they reach the need for enforcement action, which could include civil penalties.
Check the status of a complaint.