Flood Insurance

Flood Insurance Protection

Standard homeowners’ insurance does not cover floods. Separate flood insurance is available for structures, as well as for contents. Even areas outside the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) are eligible for flood insurance.

When Flood Insurance is Required

Flood insurance is mandatory for federally secured financing to buy, build, or improve a structure within the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). The insurance must be maintained for the life of the loan. The vast majority of mortgages are federally backed in some way. Lenders are responsible for determining whether a structure is located within the SFHA for flood insurance purposes.

Important facts:

  • Flood damage is not covered by homeowners’ policies. NFIP insurance can be purchased to protect homes, businesses, and belongings. Flood insurance is available for residential properties in amounts up to $250,000 for the building and $100,000 for contents. Insurance is also available for nonresidential properties, up to $500,000 for buildings and $500,000 for contents.
  • Because the City of Eugene participates in the NFIP program, individuals may purchase flood insurance regardless of whether their flood risk is high, medium, or low.
  • There is a 30-day waiting period before the coverage goes into effect. Flood insurance should be purchased before a flood threatens a home or business.
  • Federal disaster assistance is only available in the event of a Presidential disaster declaration. More than 90 percent of all disasters in the United States do not receive such a declaration. Also, most all of the disaster assistance available to rebuild is in the form of low interest loans. Many applicants may not qualify and, like all loans, they must be paid back. Flood insurance pays, even if a disaster is not declared!

See More Flood Insurance Information for additional information regarding the NFIP, insurance coverage, and upcoming changes to subsidized insurance rates.

Flood Hazard Information Assistance

Visit us: 

The Permit and Information Center

99 West 10th Avenue

Contact us:

Phone - 541-682-8400

Email - cewepic@ci.eugene.or.us

Offices are open to the public from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday.