Growth Monitoring Program
What is the latest on the Growth Monitoring Program?
Growth Monitoring Presented at Project Fair
Thank you to everyone who came to the Planning Division Project Fair on October 10, 2018. Attendees learned about Growth Monitoring, asked staff questions, and took their best guess at how Eugene is growing in a fun activity.
- What is the latest on the Growth Monitoring Program?
- How will the Growth Monitoring Program work
- How does the Growth Monitoring Program relate to adopting our UGB?
- How does the Growth Monitoring Program relate to Envision Eugene: Vision to Action?
The Envision Eugene Technical Advisory (EETAC) was appointed by the City Manager and began meeting in October 2018. The scope of the EETAC will include City-wide growth management initiatives, starting with urban reserves. The group represents a range of voices in the community and will provide feedback to staff on technical-related issues. For more information, see the EETAC.
As the program progresses, other ways to stay involve include attending or watching public meetings, review of the monitoring results on-line, and staying up to date through the Envision Eugene newsletter.
Other Project Updates
Policies establishing the growth monitoring program were adopted in the Envision Eugene Comprehensive Plan (see the Administration and Implementation chapter) in 2017.
Development of a growth monitoring plan and system is currently underway, including:
- What data to collect, how and when
- Key questions to be answered
- How to evaluate the information and make it available to the community
- General organizational structure of the program
Check out this web map which shows where new residences and new commercial buildings are happening on our buildable land.
BACK TO TOP
How will the Growth Monitoring Program work?
Key goals of the program are:
- To have growth-related data that is complete and relevant to future needs
- To efficiently collect the growth-related data
- To provide growth-related information to the community
- To regularly assess current status of the City’s land supply
- To regularly assess the effectiveness of land use efficiency strategies
- To identify growth planning trends
- To regularly assess and adjust the program in response to changing needs
What are the benefits of the Growth Monitoring Program?
- Increased reliability and on-going tracking of the buildable lands supply status
- Reduced city costs of future growth planning efforts
- Increased public trust in the growth planning process
- The community is in a better position to respond to changing conditions
- Better collaboration with regional partners, creating a more complete picture about regional trends
BACK TO TOP
How does the Growth Monitoring Program relate to adopting our UGB?
Because the Growth Monitoring Program is not required by the state, it is not directly addressed in the UGB Adoption Package beyond comprehensive plan policies (see Administration and Implementation chapter).
BACK TO TOP
How does the Growth Monitoring Program relate to Envision Eugene: Vision to Action?
The Growth Monitoring Program is a substantial element of the Action Plan, although the Community Vision and Comprehensive Plan also address it.
The Community Vision explores the history, the values, and the goals that inform how Eugene should grow. The seventh pillar lays a strong mandate for the Growth Monitoring Program.
The Comprehensive Plan is the state-mandated land use policy plan for the City of Eugene. Policies in the Administration and Implementation chapter of this document establish core elements of the Growth Monitoring Program.
The Urban Form Plan presents both local context and best practices to guide and inform the built environment in Eugene. The plan itself does not address the Growth Monitoring Program specifically. However the program will include means to evaluate whether development is achieving Envision Eugene’s quality of life or livability goals and outcomes, some of which are directly influenced by the guidelines in the Community Design Handbook, such as creating walkable neighborhoods and a beautiful downtown and key corridors.
The Action Plan lays out specific steps to achieve the goals of Envision Eugene. The Growth Monitoring Program, as an ongoing program to support all actions taken, is presented in detail within the Action Plan.
BACK TO TOP