Eugene City Code 4.815 prohibits camping in public right-of-ways, parks and other publicly-owned property. The City recognizes this is a very challenging issue and works hard with its partners toward solutions that balance neighborhood livability, safety, health, and compassionate and humane responses to homelessness.
If you are witnessing an emergency or a crime in progress, call 911.
- Report unsanctioned camping in a City park on the Park Watch webpage or downtown on the Downtown Watch webpage.
- Reports of unsanctioned camping or public safety concerns on City property or right-of-ways can also be made by calling the Eugene Police Department’s non-emergency line at 541-682-5111 or the Eugene Public Works Department at 541-682-4800.
- The City's Parks and Open Space division works hard to keep parks clean and safe by posting illegal camps and working with people in the parks system to achieve compliance with park rules and direct them to services that may be helpful.
- Unsanctioned campers receive a 24-hour notice to vacate the site.
- The City contracts with the Lane County Sheriff’s work crew to provide assistance with camp clean-up in parks, while Public Works Maintenance works to keep the public right-of-ways clean.
- Any personal property or belongings left behind by campers who have vacated a site are taken to a facility for 30 days for pick up by the owner.
- If unsanctioned camping is occurring on property that the City does not own or have jurisdiction over, staff will refer you to the appropriate place to make a report.