Street Tree Permits and Fees
The City of Eugene issues permits for pruning, planting and the removal of trees within the public right-of-way, often called street trees. These permits are designed to allow a property owner adjacent to the street tree to hire an ISA Certified Arborist to perform services on street trees when they meet the criteria for having work done to them but would otherwise fall low on our priority for maintenance.
Permits are issued on a case-by-case basis and only after an inspection by a City of Eugene ISA Certified Arborist. Permits are administered by the Urban Forestry Department.
Permits can only be administered to the property owner adjacent to the street tree. Note, the application is NOT the permit. Permits are signed by both the City of Eugene and the property owner adjacent to the street tree.
November 2022 Update:
With the recent confirmed report of emerald ash borer in Oregon, the City of Eugene has placed a moratorium planting ash trees on public land in Eugene. During this time, Urban Forestry will not approve planting permits for ash tree planting in the right-of-way. Please contact Urban Forestry for questions about other suitable species for your planting projects.
It is important to plant the right tree in the right place to maximize tree benefits and reduce future maintenance and infrastructure conflicts.
Trees should be selected specifically for the location with considerations given to future growth, rooting, conditions, soil type, overhead and underground obstructions, and diversity among the urban forest. These precautions help minimize damage and ensure long-term health of the tree.
To help property owners choose species that are well-suited for our climate, the City of Eugene maintains a list of approved street trees and planting guide. Use the filters in this excel sheet of approved street trees to find well-suited trees for your site.
- Street Tree Planting Application - Issued when a property owner, adjacent to a planter strip or section of right-of-way, wants to be able to plant a street tree(s). City of Eugene will grind stumps in the right-of-way for permitted replanting.
- Pruning Preservation Application - Issued when a property owner, adjacent to a planter strip or section of right-of-way, wants to be able to have a street tree(s) pruned by an ISA Certified Arborist when Urban Forestry staff will not be able to respond to a service request quickly. These permits include root pruning.
- Street Tree Removal Application - Issued when a property owner, adjacent to a planter strip or section of right-of-way, wants to be able to remove a street tree(s) that Urban Forestry would otherwise remove. These permits are for situations not related to construction activities. Removal permit calendar.
Note - not all removal permits are granted, and removal permits for street trees are solely determined by Urban Forestry staff. Unpermitted removals may result in the City of Eugene recouping the appraised value of the street tree(s).
For any street tree removed, a replacement street tree must be planted unless there is no suitable planting site in the right-of-way – determined by Urban Forestry staff.
- Application for Street Tree Agreement
- Planned Unit Development, Tentative
- Checklists and Process Maps for Street Tree Planting Agreements
- Narrative Report Street Trees and Process Maps for City-plant Option and Developer-plant Option Street Tree Agreements
- Tree Protection Zone LS120
- Initial Planting Report
- Final Inspection Report
- Application for development related street tree removal permit