Beware, the Coffin Races are coming! Come check out Eugene’s first-ever Halloween-themed Soapbox Derby. Shelton-McMurphy Blvd will be reborn as a racetrack for a ghoulish spread of hungry competitors. Teams can sign up as businesses, families, friend groups, government candidates, arctic explorers, angsty teens, flesh-eating zombies, etc. All teams must create Coffin-inspired cars. Get creative! As long as your car has functional brakes and steering throughout the race, you’re good to compete.
Heats of Coffin-Racers will compete in 1-vs-1, elimination style races. One champion will rise to the top, with multiple other awards for ‘Freshest coffin, best dressed team and more'. The Finish Line at 3rd & Lincoln will feature live music, beverage garden, food trucks, pumpkin carving, Halloween-themed activities and more.
Saturday, October 27 • 12 - 4 p.m.
Early Bird Registration: Through August 31
Team with Starter Kit: $250
Team Only, Build-Your-Own: $25
Late Bird Registration: September 1-October 19 at 5 p.m.
Team with Starter Kit: $300
Team Only, Build-Your-Own: $35
What is the starter Kit:
We are partnering with the amazing team over at Ding Ding Cycles to help people with limited knowledge/time for building to compete in the event by producing a 'Starter Kit' that Ding Ding will help you construct.
The Kit comes with a basic coffin, as well as a steel substructure upon which a coffin can be easily attached. This steel frame will include wheels, steering column, and brake mechanism. Everything you need to be up and racing! It'll be up to you to customize your car from there! Make it beautiful, terrifying, intimidating, hilarious, silly, spooky, etc.
Ding Ding Cycles will also be providing shop time for teams that need assistance with the assembly of their coffins, as well as doing day-of safety inspections on all competing coffins. Shop Time dates are TBD
We encourage teams to build their own cars from scratch! As long as it adheres to the previously listed safety necessities and is coffin-inspired, please get as creative as you'd like.
If you are looking for a coffin a great local coffin builder is Eric Kissel Opens a New Window. .
Contestants will race down Shelton-McMurphy Blvd to the finish line at 3rd & Lincoln. The twisting, two-lane course has a (very) gradual 15 ft. decline. Racer speed will rely on a well-executed 'Push' from a designated 'Team Pusher', as well as coffin orientation, wheel choice, weight distribution, etc. The course will be lined with hay bales and fencing to ensure maximum safety.
- .2 miles / .32 km / 1056 ft / 352 yards / 12,672 in / 32186.9 cm
- 15ft Gradual Decline
- 2 Lanes
- Hay bale/fenced perimeter
All teams are guaranteed two races before advancing through to the tournament
- Your team will consist of ONE or TWO Racers and ONE or TWO Pushers, as well as the rest of your ragtag crew of fixer-uppers, motivators, cheerleaders, etc.
- Each driver and pusher must sign the Waiver and Release Agreement prior to the race. The waivers will be available at check-in. Only drivers and pushers are required to sign a waiver. (Note: While you can have more than one of each, keep in mind that adding a second pusher increases your chance of foot fouling by 50%. If you have more than one driver at a time, all drivers must cross the finish line to get your official time.) Drivers and pushers must meet the minimum height requirement of 4' 10".
The rules of the race
- FOOT FOULS WILL BE REGULATED HEAVILY. Your pusher’s foot may not cross the starting line, even for momentum. If your pusher foot-fouls on one of your two guaranteed races, the non foot-foul race time will be your official time. If you foot-fault on both of your guaranteed races, you’re eliminated. If you make it into the tournament and you foot-foul, you’re eliminated.
- Helmets, brakes, and steering mechanism are absolutely mandatory.
- Costumes are highly recommended.
- No pedals, motors, engines, nitrous oxide tanks, batteries, hydraulics, etc.
- No intentional lane crossing. No ramming into your competitors, or driving them off the road.
Each driver and pusher must sign the Waiver and Release Agreement prior to the race. The waivers will be available at check-in. Only drivers and pushers are required to sign a waiver.
Brought to you by the City of Eugene with support from these local businesses. Thank you to our sponsors for making Eugene a great place to live, work and play!