Beware, the Coffin Races are coming! Come check out Eugene’s inaugural Halloween-themed Soapbox Derby. Lincoln Street from the Skinner’s Butte Columns to the intersection below, will be reborn as a racetrack for a ghoulish spread of hungry competitors. Teams can sign up as businesses, families, friend groups, government candidates, arctic explorers, angsty teens, flesh-eating zombies, etc. All teams must create Coffin-inspired cars. Get creative! As long as your car has functional brakes and steering throughout the race, you’re good to compete.
Heats of Coffin-Racers will compete in 1-vs-1, elimination style races. Every team gets at least 3 races. One champion will rise to the top, with multiple other awards for ‘Freshest coffin, best dressed team and more'. The Finish Line at 3rd & Lincoln will feature live music, beverage garden, food trucks, pumpkin carving, Halloween-themed activities and more.
Saturday, October 27 • 12 - 4 p.m.
Deadline to Register - October 19 at 5 p.m.
Team with Starter Kit: $300 (only through Oct. 1 - Get 'em while they're hot!)
Team Only, Build-Your-Own: $35
What is the starter Kit?
We are partnering with the amazing team over at Ding Ding Cycles to help people with limited knowledge/time for building to compete in the event by producing a 'Starter Kit' that Ding Ding will help you construct.
The Kit comes with a PRE-BUILT COFFIN RACER. This includes: basic coffin, as well as a steel substructure upon which a coffin is easily attached. This steel frame will include wheels, steering column, and brake mechanism. Everything you need to be up and racing! It'll be up to you to customize your car from there! Make it beautiful, terrifying, intimidating, hilarious, silly, spooky, etc.
Ding Ding Cycles will also be providing shop time for teams that need assistance with the assembly and customization of their coffins, as well as doing day-of safety inspections on all competing coffins. Shop Time dates are TBD.
We encourage teams to build their own cars from scratch! As long as it adheres to the previously listed safety necessities and is coffin-inspired, please get as creative as you'd like.
If you are looking for a coffin a great local coffin builder is Eric Kissel Opens a New Window. .
Did you purchase a starter kit?
If you purchased a coffin starter kit by Labor Day (9/3), your kit will be ready for pickup by October 1.
From there on out, starter kits will be ready October 14 at the latest.
We are thrilled about how many orders we've received and are developing in batches.
The new deadline for purchasing a starter kit is October 1, so we can ensure they all get built with enough time to deck them out before the races!
Contestants will race down from the Skinner Butte Columns to the finish line at 3rd & Lincoln. The exhilarating, two-lane course has a short but steep decline followed by a cruisable straightaway. Racer speed will rely on a well-executed 'Push' from a designated 'Team Pusher', as well as coffin design, wheel choice, weight distribution, etc. The course will be lined with hay bales and fencing to ensure maximum safety.
- 200 meters / .2 km / 656 ft / 219 yards /.15 miles / .32 km / 1056 ft / 352 yards / 7,864 in / 20000 cm
- 2 Lanes
- Hay bale/fenced perimeter
All teams are guaranteed at least three before advancing through to the tournament
- Your team will consist of ONE or TWO Racers and ONE Pusher (per race), as well as the rest of your ragtag crew of fixer-uppers, motivators, cheerleaders, etc.
- Each Driver and Pusher must sign the Waiver and Release Agreement prior to the race. The waivers will be available at check-in. Only drivers and pushers are required to sign a waiver. (Note: While you can have more than one of each, keep in mind that adding a second pusher increases your chance of foot fouling by 100%) First car to pass the finish line wins. Drivers and pushers must meet the minimum height requirement of 4' 10".
The rules of the race
- FOOT FOULS WILL BE REGULATED (SEMI) HEAVILY. Your pusher’s foot may not cross the starting line, even for momentum. You will get a warning the first time it happens, and disqualified from winning your heat after subsequent fouls.
- Helmets, brakes, and steering mechanism are absolutely mandatory.
- Costumes are highly recommended. Style points will most definitely be docked for dressing as a normal civilian.
- No pedals, motors, engines, nitrous oxide tanks, batteries, hydraulics, etc.
- No intentional lane crossing. No ramming into your competitors, or driving them off the road.
IMPORTANT RULE FOR BUILDERS: EACH COFFIN RACER must have a tow hitch on the front and back of the vehicle. Being towed back up to the starting line will be one of the most integral (and fun) aspects of the event!
Each driver and pusher must sign the Waiver and Release Agreement prior to the race. The waivers will be available at check-in. Only drivers and pushers are required to sign a waiver.
Brought to you by the City of Eugene with support from these local businesses. Thank you to our sponsors for making Eugene a great place to live, work and play!