Read about the City's latest actions related to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). Read the full community update...
Latest Video Update from Mayor Vinis
- As a City it is our responsibility to maintain essential services and support our public health partners.
- During a public health emergency, Lane County Public Health in conjunction with the Oregon Health Authority are the lead agencies.
- The City is taking action to slow the spread of COVID-19 and amplify the messages, recommendations and preventative measures of the lead agencies.
What We Are Doing
- Supporting Local Business Community
The City of Eugene has created a specialized Business Help Team to assist employers as they seek to keep their businesses afloat by answering questions about financing options, reopening guidelines and other topics. The team is working to be flexible to meet the needs of different businesses as rules change and needs evolve. Read more about this work, as well as other information and resources for Business Support.
- Identifying Community Resources
The City of Eugene is working hard with our partners at Lane County and Springfield to ensure our community has important information about local, state and federal resources to help residents and businesses significantly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. All Eugene residents regardless of immigration status are eligible for City of Eugene programs and services.
- Planning for Long-term Community Recovery
As the City continues to direct resources to recovery measures, we also recognize the need for a Long-term Community Recovery strategy to re-establish a healthy, functioning community that will sustain itself over time. The City of Eugene is taking a “whole community approach” to long-term recovery that includes the social, economic, and physical aspects of the city.
- Providing Emergency Services
We continue to respond to emergency calls for service, in progress crimes, other high priority life/safety issues, and incidents that require evidence gathering. Our police, fire and medical personnel have the equipment, training and protocols they need to protect themselves and community members. They’ve been practicing, they are ready and they are at work.
- Maintaining Essential Services
Essential City services are still running. Some are available online, by phone, and by email. See details about City Services - What’s Open?
- Supporting the Unhoused
In alignment with Lane County Public Health and CDC guidance, the City of Eugene’s COVID-19 initial response strategies to support people experiencing homelessness aimed at reducing the need for people to move around the community and supported a shelter in place approach. As we move through the Governor’s phased reopening, we are shifting from responding to the outbreak to supporting community reopening and recovery. Our goal is to balance the varying needs for safety and recovery. Learn more about Support for Unhoused.
- Fielding Hate and Bias Complaints
Have you experienced discrimination, hate or bias related to COVID-19? The City’s Human Rights and Neighborhood Involvement Office fields complaints related to housing, employment, public access, and City contracts that occur within the City of Eugene. If you are in immediate danger call 911. If it is not an emergency, report hate and bias activity and concerns online.
- Activated Emergency Operations Center
We have activated our City’s Emergency Operations Center that is working in conjunction with our partners at Lane County and City of Springfield to maintain critical services, identify community needs and mobilize coordinated responses.
See a history of COVID-19 related news releases, video updates from Mayor Lucy Vinis, and City Council meetings. Each section is listed in chronological order, with the most current first.
Also see Lane County Press Conferences.
- New microsite collaboration at Eugene Mission (July 2, 2020)
- From Temporary Shelter to Microsite (June 19, 2020)
- Eugene Municipal Court resumes limited services (June 16, 2020)
- City begins phased removal of some portable restrooms in COVID-19 response (June 12, 2020)
- Eugene Playgrounds Reopen Friday (June 11, 2020)
- Eugene Public Library Begins to Restart Paused Services (June 8, 2020)
- Park Updates for Phase 2 (June 5, 2020)
- Local restaurants can expand outdoor café seating - “streateries” - to accommodate needed distancing (May 29, 2020)
- Eugene City Council declares May Asian Pacific American Heritage Month (May 28, 2020)
- Business owner requirements around building, fire and life safety (May 15, 2020)
- Playgrounds, skate parks and sport courts remain closed in Phase 1 (May 15, 2020)
- City of Eugene “reopening” team prepared to help businesses as Lane County begins Phase 1 (May 14, 2020)
- Spay and Neuter Clinic walk-in service suspension extended through May 16, 2020 (May 7, 2020)
- COVID-19 Zoom Press Conference on Economic Relief Hosted by Mayor Ted Wheeler - April 21, 2020 (*Also link directly to Mayor Vinis’ presentation)
- National Dance Week Goes Digital (April 15, 2020)
- Additional designated temporary shelter sites to open for unhoused in Eugene (April 13, 2020)
- Riverfront Park Construction Begins as Scheduled (April 9, 2020)
- Eugene Public Library Expands Free Online Access (April 8, 2020)
- City Council Meeting to Feature COVID-19 Update from Emergency Operations Center (April 7, 2020)
- Designated temporary shelter sites opening for unhoused in Eugene (April 6, 2020)
- Keep the "space" in parks and open space (April 2, 2020)
- Eugene Spay and Neuter Clinic Update (April 2, 2020)
- Outreach teams to provide assistance to unhoused in Eugene (April 1, 2020)
- City of Eugene provides more portable restrooms throughout the community (March 31, 2020)
- Police Response During COVID-19 Pandemic (March 27, 2020)
- Map and spreadsheet of local restaurants offering take-out in Eugene now available online (March 26, 2020)
- Playgrounds, Sport Courts and Skateparks Closed by Executive Order (March 23, 2020)
- Governor Kate Brown’s Stay Home, Save Lives Executive Order No. 20-12 (March 23, 2020)
- Governor Brown’s Order to Stop Residential Evictions During COVID-19 Crisis (March 22, 2020)
- Municipal Court Update (March 22, 2020)
- Joint Letter from Local Officials Urging Governor Brown to Enact Statewide Stay at Home Guidelines (March 22, 2020)
- Lane County, Eugene and Springfield officials urge Governor Brown to enact statewide Stay at Home guidelines (March 22, 2020)
- Eugene Park Restrooms Replaced with Portable Toilets (March 20, 2020)
- Eugene Municipal Court Reduces Hours (March 19, 2020)
- Parking program created to support restaurants and bars (March 19, 2020)
- City of Eugene Declares Emergency to Enhance Response to Needs Regarding COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
(March 17, 2020)
- Eugene Rec Closing All Locations Until March 30 (March 16, 2020)
- Eugene Municipal Court adjustments for COVID-19 (March 16, 2020)
- City of Eugene Public Library Closing All Locations Until March 30 (March 13, 2020)
- City of Eugene Spay and Neuter Clinic Suspending Services (March 13, 2020)
- City of Eugene Implements Emergency Operations Centers; Public Meetings Suspended (March 13, 2020)
Mayor Lucy Vinis COVID-19 Video Updates
- Mayor Vinis July 1, 2020 COVID-19 Update
- Mayor Vinis June 17, 2020 COVID-19 Update
- Mayor Vinis June 3, 2020 COVID-19 Update
- Mayor Vinis May 20, 2020 COVID-19 Update
- Mayor Vinis May 12, 2020 COVID-19 Update
- Mayor Vinis May 5, 2020 COVID-19 Update
- Mayor Vinis April 30, 2020 COVID-19 Update (SPANISH)
- Mayor Vinis April 21, 2020 COVID-19 Update
- Mayor Vinis April 17, 2020 COVID-19 Update
- Mayor Vinis April 14, 2020 COVID-19 Update
- Mayor Vinis April 10, 2020 COVID-19 Update
- Mayor Vinis April 7, 2020 COVID-19 Update
- Mayor Vinis April 3, 2020 COVID-19 Update
- Mayor Vinis March 27, 2020 COVID-19 Update
- Mayor Vinis March 20, 2020 COVID-19 Update
- Mayor Vinis March 18, 2020 COVID-19 Update
- Mayor Vinis March 16, 2020 COVID-19 Update
City Council Meetings Featuring COVID-19 Updates
- City Council May 27, 2020 Work Session
- City Council May 13, 2020 Work Session
- City Council May 11, 2020 Work Session
- City Council April 29, 2020 Work Session
- City Council April 27, 2020 Work Session
- City Council April 22, 2020 Work Session
- City County April 15, 2020 Work Session
- City Council April 13, 2020 Work Session
- City Council April 8, 2020 Work Session
- City Council March 17, 2020 Special Meeting
- City Council March 11, 2020 Work Session