For Urban Canvas Artists
Urban Canvas accepts portfolios from artists of all experience levels, ranging from the experienced muralist to the visual artist wanting to branch out into mural work. With the information and images provided by each artist, we create a portfolio that we show to wall owners or project coordinators interested in commissioning a mural or other 2D public artwork.
There is no deadline to apply. Artist applications are accepted year-round and reviewed monthly.
- Live in Lane County
- Be a visual artist, wishing to work in the realm of 2D public art. Although having completed a mural is not required, it is highly suggested that artists have experience painting on a larger scale with paint mediums that translate well to exterior walls or other hard surfaces.
Benefits of being on the roster:
- Urban Canvas shares the roster with City divisions and outside partners, allowing them to identify potential local artists without the need for separate artist calls. This enables artists to be considered for opportunities just by having an Urban Canvas profile.
- Artists on the roster will receive occasional emails with relevant call to artists targeting muralists or 2D public artists.
Create an artist profile:
- Fill out the Artist form for Urban Canvas. Applicants may save their progress and return at a later date by making an account. To access a saved application, go to the form, login, and click on “My Forms.” Be sure to double check all information has been entered accurately. The information provided on this form will be used to create an artist profile that we share with potential wall owners and project managers.
- The main contact indicated on the Artist form will be notified if the applicant’s aesthetic matches the needs of the project.
- Urban Canvas reserves the right to not include an artist in the portfolio of artists available to wall owners. Artwork that includes hate speech, illicit drug use, pornography and violence will not be accepted for portfolio usage.
- Pro tips:
- Artists can upload up to 3 images; be sure to use them all! Although artists can include images of work in other mediums to show their range in ability, it is suggested to focus a majority of the work samples on mediums applicable to mural painting. Remember: Professional images really make a difference!
- Biography and additional information is important, but note that people only read this section if they are pulled in by the images. It is recommended to limit text to a few sentences for each section to ensure the images are the focus of the page.
- Artists will be given the opportunity to adjust their profile text and images at certain points throughout the year.
- How does the process work?
Artists can submit an application using the Artist form. Wall owners and project managers will review the roster and determine their top choices or choice. If selected, the artist will be contacted by Urban Canvas or by the wall owner directly.
- How much will I be compensated?
Each project is different. In some cases, the project budget has already been predetermined, so the artist can make the choice to accept or pass on the project as offered. In other cases, artists will be asked to propose a budget for the project.
- What does “local” mean for this project?
Artists are required to live within Lane County. Transportation, parking and lodging costs will not be provided or reimbursed.
- What if I do not like the wall that I am offered?
If an artist is not interested in an offered wall or project, then they are not required to accept the proposal. As a best practice, the artist should follow up on all offers with a response.
- Can I paint whatever I want?
Artists may be given varying levels of creative freedom depending on the project. Sometimes the artist may be provided with prompts to direct the work. All designs must be approved and agreed upon by all parties before any work can begin. Designs that include subjects of hateful imagery, pornography, or illegal/illicit activities (e.g., as vandalism or drug use) will not be accepted.
- How do I paint a mural in Eugene?
Check out our Mural Checklist for Artists to learn more.