For Wall Owners
For Urban Canvas Wall Owners
If you are a wall owner (or tenant that has permission from the wall owner) looking to add a mural to your building, Urban Canvas can help:
- Artist roster – Urban Canvas coordinates a roster of 100+ local, visual artists interested in painting a mural. Skills range from those wishing to complete their first mural to the most experienced artists in our community.
- Mural consultation – Are you interested in commissioning a mural but do not know where to start? First check out our Mural Checklist for Wall and Business Owners Commissioning a Mural. Still have questions? We would be happy to offer a consultation.
Fill out the Wall Owner form to get started. Be sure to include the location of your wall, approximate dimensions (height and width in feet), and at least one image.
- How much does it cost to commission a mural?
Unfortunately, there is not a one-size-fits-all answer. Mural costs include the artist stipend (often $15-25 per square foot), supplies (e.g., paint, brushes, anti-graffiti coating, etc.), permits, and the rental of lifts or scaffolding (if needed depending on the site) and is often heavily influenced by the size of the wall.
- How do I commission a mural?
- Can the wall owner tell the artist what to paint?
Mural commissioners often provide themes, suggestions or certain content to include in a mural to guide the artist when they create a mural proposal. It is important to remember that although artists should be given any expectations up front, artists are typically more interested in projects that allow some level of creative freedom—if you are interested in an artist’s previous work, trust the artist and the process. Designs must be approved and agreed upon by all parties before any work can begin. Designs that include subjects of hateful imagery, pornography or illegal/illicit activities are not acceptable.
- Can a business include its logo or name as part of a mural?
No. The City of Eugene has ordinances that must be followed for signs, and the logo or name of a business is considered a sign. Please visit the City of Eugene Land Use website for more information.