Case No. 14-15512
Today, and EPD School Resource Team officer was called regarding a 12-old-female student, who reported a male subject standing outside his van with the passenger side sliding door open attempted to get her to go in his van yesterday at 3:30 p.m. in the 1600 block of Coburg Road. She reported the man did not physically grab her nor make any physical advances toward her, but he asked to give her a ride several times, even after she said no. She was able to get home safely and the man did not try to follow her.
The student described the man as possibly white, although she didn’t know his race, and in his mid to late 30s, approximately 6-feet tall, with a thin build. She said he had short hair, balding on top, with facial stubble. He was last seen wearing a black, long sleeve t-shirt, and blue jeans with a hole in one of the knees. The girl described the van as being purple-greenish with a wide scrape on the passenger door that continued onto the sliding door panel. She said the van also had a noticeable dent on the passenger-side head lamp.
Eugene Police is continuing to investigate the case. If anyone has tips, they are asked to call 541.682.5111.
Provided are general tips for personal safety in many situations.
General Personal Safety Tips
• Use the buddy system when walking after dark. You should know the person you are walking with well enough to trust them. Walk in lighted areas as much as possible and don’t walk too close to bushes, alleyways or other places where attackers can conceal themselves
• Be aware of your surroundings at all times
• Know that being intoxicated can dull your senses, judgment and ability to react to situations
• Walk confidently and don’t avoid eye contact
• Don’t let strangers into your ‘space.’ Keep plenty of distance between yourself and people you don’t wish to approach you.
• Don’t stop to talk with strangers asking for directions or other types of help as this can be a ploy to get close for an attack.
• If you feel you are in danger or being followed, call 9-1-1
• If grabbed, fight back and make as much noise as possible.
• Do not get into someone’s vehicle even if they display a weapon. It is better to fight back in the street where help is closer at hand and other people may hear your calls for help.
• Rapes by strangers can happen in ‘fringe type’ areas, which are secluded enough for an attack, but close enough to civilization that there are potential victims for the attacker to select.