Downtown Eugene from the Park Blocks to Kesey Square and all the way down Broadway to Monroe Park will be car-free and filled with fun on Sunday, July 26, from noon to 4 p.m. Participants can enjoy a relaxing roll or stroll through a cornucopia of food, music, fitness classes and bike demos. New activities at Sunday Streets this year include “Art on a Box” offering 20-minute open mic sets from local artists, a dunk tank at Monroe Park, and an upcycle T-shirt decorating competition sponsored by MECCA and featuring Ariana Schultz- fashion designer and instructor at Lane Community College.
Volunteers are the key to making this free community event a success. Volunteer time slots average two hours between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Volunteer training is offered Tuesday, July 21, from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. and Wednesday, July 22, from noon to 1 p.m. Volunteer roles include:
- Intersection superhero – Help with traffic flow, answer questions, redirect neighborhood traffic, and set up or take down barricades at specified intersections. Some volunteers will be asked to count event participants at different intervals.
- Rehydrators – Make Intersection Superheroes smile by rehydrating them with water on a hot summer day.
- Survey team – Approach participants and ask them to fill out a quick survey for the event, either in the Activity Center or walking the route.
- Information superstar – Answer people’s questions, hand out brochures and help set up or take down the info booth.
- Park setup and cleanup crew.
- Volunteers are also needed to go out Sunday, July 19, at 9 a.m. to hang door fliers.
For more information or to sign up, contact the Sunday Streets coordinator at 541-501-0390, email < a href="mailto:SundayStreets@ci.eugene.or.us">SundayStreets@ci.eugene.or.us, or online at www.eugene-or.gov/index.aspx?NID=1668.