Attempted Rape Reported Hwy. 99/Barger
Case No. 15-18948
A young woman has reported an attempted sexual assault by a male that occurred just before midnight November 4 at Hwy. 99 N near Barger. The subject is reported to have approached her as she walked on a sidewalk, she tried to evade him, but he grabbed her, pushed her and attempted an assault. She was able to fight back successfully and escaped. The suspect left the area in a four-door, white sedan of unknown make and model. Officers responded to the area but they were unable to locate the suspect. The suspect is described as a white male, tall, with light-colored eyes and wearing a black ski mask and black hoody and jeans. He may have short facial hair and short blond hair.
Police are asking people to please be especially mindful of personal safety practices, and if at all possible try to get a license plate and descriptions of vehicle and suspicious subjects inside, and to call 9-1-1 to report incidents.
GENERAL PERSONAL SAFETY TIPS
• Be aware of your surroundings at all times
• Do not get into someone’s car even if they display a weapon. It is better to fight back in the street where help is closer at hand and other people may hear your calls for help.
• Walk confidently and don’t avoid eye contact
• Don’t let strangers into your ‘space.’ Keep plenty of distance between yourself and people you don’t wish to approach you.
• Don’t stop to talk with strangers asking for directions or other types of help as this can be a ploy to get close for an attack.
• If you feel you are in danger or being followed, call 9-1-1
• If grabbed, fight back and make as much noise as possible.
• Use the buddy system when walking after dark. You should know the person you are walking with well enough to trust them.
• Walk in lighted areas as much as possible and don’t walk too close to bushes, alleyways or other places where attackers can conceal themselves