Eugene Police are investigating a case in which a man walked into a secured apartment building behind a woman, without using a prox card, and followed her into an elevator. When the elevator door closed, he groped her. The victim, in her 20s, actively resisted and tried to push him away, he persisted. The victim was able to run from the elevator when the door opened and the man did not follow her. This happened in the 900 block of Charnelton on April 16, at 5:51 p.m.
The suspect was described as a white male, age 50-60, with grey and black hair and a short, scruffy beard. Police are continuing to investigate this case. If anyone has information in the case, they are asked to call 541.682.5111.
GENERAL PERSONAL SAFETY TIPS
• Be aware of your surroundings at all times
• Do not get into someone’s car even if they display a weapon. It is better to fight back in the street where help is closer at hand and other people may hear your calls for help.
• Walk confidently and don’t avoid eye contact
• Don’t let strangers into your ‘space.’ Keep plenty of distance between yourself and people you don’t wish to approach you.
• Don’t stop to talk with strangers asking for directions or other types of help as this can be a ploy to get close for an attack.
• If you feel you are in danger or being followed, call 9-1-1
• If grabbed, fight back and make as much noise as possible.
• Use the buddy system when walking after dark. You should know the person you are walking with well enough to trust them.
• Walk in lighted areas as much as possible and don’t walk too close to bushes, alleyways or other places where attackers can conceal themselves