Eugene Police are investigating a report of two girls, age 12 and nine, being followed by an unknown man from a nearby school playground (River Road El Camino Del Rio Elementary School), 120 W. Hilliard Lane, on June 19 at around 5 p.m. the girls reported the man walked behind them as they were walking from the playground to a pond. When they increased their speed, he did too, and appeared to be following their directions of travel. One of the girls called her father, who arrived to pick them up. The father confronted the man, who indicated where he lived. A check later showed there was no such address.
The suspect was described as a white male, age 45-55, between 6’2” and 6’6” tall, weighing 165 to 200 pounds, with long orange-blonde straight hair, and wearing wire-rimmed reading glasses, a black and red jacket and green jogging pants. Police are continuing to investigate this case. If anyone has information in the case, they are asked to call 541.682.5111.
GENERAL PERSONAL SAFETY TIPS
• Be aware of your surroundings at all times
• Do not get into someone’s car even if they display a weapon. It is better to fight back in the street where help is closer at hand and other people may hear your calls for help.
• Walk confidently and don’t avoid eye contact
• Don’t let strangers into your ‘space.’ Keep plenty of distance between yourself and people you don’t wish to approach you.
• Don’t stop to talk with strangers asking for directions or other types of help as this can be a ploy to get close for an attack.
• If you feel you are in danger or being followed, call 9-1-1
• If grabbed, fight back and make as much noise as possible.
• Use the buddy system when walking after dark. You should know the person you are walking with well enough to trust them.
• Walk in lighted areas as much as possible and don’t walk too close to bushes, alleyways or other places where attackers can conceal themselves