Downtown Public Safety Zone Exclusion Case Summaries 2012
(1) 08/25/2011 Officer observed hostile verbal dispute between two subjects, upon attempted contact subject ran then stopped turned around and raised both arms facing off so the officer pepper sprayed the subject. Subject continued to resist arrest and upon code 3 cover arriving was taken into custody.
Subject was lodged for DC, interfering and resisting arrest. Subject is on current Post-Prison
supervision for Delivery Controlled Substance to Juvenile. He has an address in Springfield and has 9 separate police contacts downtown. Upon conviction a one year exclusion was granted.
(2) 10/30/2011 In the evening of October 30th, 2011 officers were dispatched to a business in the 500 block of E 13th regarding trespassers. The man was contacted with a 24 oz open can of malt liquor, which he promptly finished. The man was arrested and lodged at the jail for Open Container and CriminalTrespass II. The man currently has 226 contacts and violated his exclusion 4 times. Upon conviction a one year exclusion was granted.
(3) 11/03/2011 Officer observed subject at Broadway & Willamette hunched over with two other subjects. Upon contact the officer determined the subject was in possession of approx. 26 grams of psilocybin mushrooms which he was showing to an 18 or 19 yoa male & female. Subject was also in possession of approx. 25 grams of Marijuana, scales and packaging material. Subject had a concealed fighting knife in his backpack and admitted to selling Marijuana to pay his probation fees. Subject is a convicted felon which prohibited him from having the knife in his possession. Subject was arrested for Unlawful Delivery Controlled Substance Schedule 1 X2, Unlawful Possession Controlled Substance Schedule 1, felon in possession restricted weapon & carrying a concealed weapon. Subject is on current post-prison supervision for Theft-1 and probation for Delivery Marijuana for consideration. Subject violated his DPSZ restriction on seven occasions and has had 34 police contacts downtown and has an address in Eugene. Upon conviction a one year exclusion was granted.
(4) 11/29/2011 Two officers were on bike patrol in the area of 79 W Broadway when they observed four subjects in front of the business, two were standing and two were sitting with their backs to the wall of the business. There were three “no trespassing’ signs clearly posted on the wall as well as a “No Loitering” sign. The Sergeant cited the subject for No Trespassing and issued him a Notice to Show Cause.
Upon further review, EPD withdrew the Show Cause Notice via memo to the court.
(5) 12/03/2011 Subject eluded officer, identity was determined and when another officer lodged subject initial officer made contact and subsequently added charges of Possession of Meth, Interfering and numerous traffic offenses along with a notice to show cause. Subject is on current Post-Prison supervision for Failure To Appear-1 and state probation for Theft-1, Failure To Appear-1, Possess Methamphetamine x3. Subject has ½ dozen contacts in downtown and numerous ones within city limits, subject listed an address in Springfield. The subject appeared for a hearing and was issued a 90 day exclusion.
(6) 12/17/2011 Officers responded to a disorderly person in front of the WOW hall, exhibiting violent, tumultuous and unpredictable behavior. Subject was rambling about unrelated topics. Subject was observed by comp to break a glass bottle by striking it against the face of a metal traffic control wiring box at 11 & Willamette. Subject then held up the jagged edged bottle waving it around as pedestrians walked by. He continued to scream unintelligible things while running in amongst traffic. Upon contact subject was hostile to officers continuing to ramble. Subject was arrested and lodged for CM-2 and DC and issued a notice to show cause. Subject is on current post-prison supervision for assault on a public safety officer and has over 15 separate contacts with police downtown. Subject gives addresses in
Eugene from time to time but gives “no address” most often. The subject appeared for hearing and was given a 90 day exclusion and upon conviction a 1 year exclusion.
(7) 01/05/2012 Officer on patrol observes subject with an open 24-oz alcoholic beverage sitting on some steps that lead to businesses located just N of the over park at 1000 Oak St in the alley. The subject was drinking a Dog Bite which has 10% alcohol by volume. Officer ran subject and determined he had warrants, at the jail a deputy searched the subject and located about 10 blue tablets thought to be amphetamines, upon testing a portion of a tablet with NARK Test No. 1 a positive reading for amphetamines was obtained. Subject is on Post-Prison Supervision for Assault-3 and state probation for Possession Controlled Sub-SC 2, and over 40 separate contacts with officers downtown. Subject has no known address.
The subject requested a hearing, failed to appear and the judge granted a 90 day exclusion.
(8) 1/7/12 about 4:30pm on January 7 this subject was contacted while preparing to smoke marijuana in the Broadway and Oak Alley. When the subject was searched officers found that he was also in possession of methamphetamine. The subject was lodged in the jail for possession of methamphetamine and possession of less than an ounce within 1000 feet of a school. The subject failed to appear for a hearing and the judged imposed a 90 day exclusion.
(9) 01/19/2012 Officer observed subject violate the right angle provision at 10th & Olive, upon contact subject was hostile but consented to a search of his person & backpack. In the top pouch of the backpack the officer located some MJ. Subject was lodged for Possession Less Than 1 oz Marijuana w/i 1000’ of a school. Subject gave a residence address in Eugene and has had over 20 contacts with police downtown.
The subject’s exclusion order was dismissed per a Municipal Court Judges Judicial Discretion.
(10) 01/21/2012 Officer on bike patrol rode up to a group of five subjects sitting and/or standing
leaning up against a building and/or heater vent in the alley behind the Downtown Athletic Club. Three subjects were trespassing and acknowledged same but wanted to get warm and out of the rain. One of the contacts was a minor. Subject gave consent for the officer to remove a knife from his pocket, upon doing so the officer observed a baggie with a green leafy substance he believed to be Marijuana. Upon further search, the officer located a mason jar containing 6 individual baggies that contained green Marijuana, two empty plastic baggies, rolling paper and a cigarette lighter. The location is within 1000’ of the Peace Village Network Charter School. Subject was lodged for Delivery of Marijuana w/i 1000’ of a school, distribution of Controlled Substance – Marijuana to a minor, Criminal Trespass-2. Subject had two previous contacts with officer’s downtown and no listed address. The subject failed to appear for their hearing and a 90 day exclusion was granted.
(11) 01/27/2012 Officer contacted subject in Park blocks that was known to have a valid park
restriction on file, subject was placed under arrest and a search of his pockets revealed a zip lock baggie with approx. 1 gram of Marijuana. Subject is a known chronic offender downtown with over 30 police contacts in the last year and again as many in the campus area. Subject has threatened to kill several officers and/or their families, has been trespassed by Willamalane and has a 7th offense on file for park restriction. No address listed. The subject waived appearance at their hearing and was issued a 90 day exclusion.
(12) 02/01/2012 Officer was patrolling the parking lot attached to the Kiva, he observed a vehicle parked in a clearly marked handicapped space with no visible placard. He rode up to the vehicle admonished the driver to stop, the driver put the vehicle in reverse and slowly drove off with the officer continuing to tell him to stop. Officers responded and the vehicle was subsequently stopped on W 7th Ave. A passenger in the vehicle was arrested for delivery of heroin, possession of heroin and warrants. Subject had no previous downtown contacts.
The subject appeared for a hearing and the judge issued a 90 day exclusion.
(13) 02/01/2012 Officer observed three sitting on the ground near where a “No Trespassing” sign is painted on the DAV vent, subject was sitting within arm’s reach of the no trespassing sign, subject was in poss of MJ w/i 1000’ feet of Peace Village school and given another show cause notice. Subject is a known chronic offender downtown with over 30 police contacts in the last year and again as many in the campus area. Subject has threatened to kill several officers and/or their families, has been trespassed by Willamalane and has a 7th offense on file for park restriction. No address listed. The subject failed to appear for a hearing and was issued a 90 day exclusion.
(14) 02/02/2012 Officer contacts subject drinking a dark liquid from a water bottle as he sat with
several juveniles in the West Park Block. Officer asks what subject has in the bottle, subject replies 4 Loco, a malt liquor energy drink. Subject is taken in to custody and upon search advises that a pouch hanging from his belt loop contains a MJ pipe which he used to smoke MJ. Subject was lodged for Possession Less Than 1 ounce Marijuana w/i 1000’ feet of a school, consumption/possession unlicensed premise, violation park rules (open container) and due to his involvement with kids downtown subject was issued a notice to show cause. Subject advised he had only been in town 2 days and had no local address. Subject has a previous arrest in 2011 for CT-2 and Cons Unlicensed Premise/Open Container at 1175 Charnelton. The subject requested a hearing but failed to appear and the judge issued a 90 day exclusion. Following his conviction the judge also imposed a one-year exclusion.
(15) 02/03/2012 Officer was contacted by Mall Guides who had observed a subject enter a retail
store that was known to have a valid DPSZ exclusion order on file. Officer waited outside for subject to exit and arrested him for violating his exclusion order. Officer could smell a very strong order of Marijuana emitting from subject’s clothing/body. Subject had a clear glass pipe approx. 4” long nearly half full of green Marijuana. Subject was also in possession of a zip lock baggie containing Marijuana. Subject was within 1000’ of a school. Subject was lodged for Possession Less Than 1 oz Marijuana & violation of the DPSZ and given a notice to show cause. Subject had been on post-prison release for Assault-1. At least 20 separate contacts downtown with police. At time of contact subject had an address in Eugene. The subject waived his hearing and the judge granted a 90 day exclusion.
(16) 02/03/2012 Officer set up a buy for 2/10 of a gram of heroin at 11th & Olive via phone. Upon
arrival officer contacts subject and asks to search his person and two backpacks, consent to search is given. A silver cigarette case containing a brown residue was located along with a roll of tin foil, a plastic container w/tiny green flakey bits, a baggie w/four small razors, a small Scandisk memory card, three plastic bags, two cell phones and numerous chargers and adapters. Subject was lodged for Attempted Delivery Heroin w/i 1000’ ft school, possession heroin and possession Less Than 1 oz Marijuana w/i 1000’ ft school. Subject has 4 prior contacts with police DT and lists no address. The subject failed to appear for his hearing, the judge issued 90 day exclusion.
(17) 02/08/2012 Officer on bike patrol in the area of 10th & Willamette, officer observes subjects
trespassing at the McDonald Theater and makes contact. There are “No Trespassing” signs posted and a valid no trespassing letter on file for this location. Subject appeared nervous and stated he needed to leave to catch the bus, subject was wanted. Upon arrest, subject stated he had a pipe and some bags in his pocket. Officer located a multi-colored glass pipe w/black MJ residue in the bowl and two plastic baggies, one contained six wrapped baggies of MJ and the second contained three. The officer asked subject about selling, subject advised he sells a little bit each week to pay for what subject smokes. Subject was lodged for Unlf Del MJ w/i 1000’ school, Possession Less Than 1 oz Marijuana w/i 1000’ school, Criminal Trespass-2 and the warrant for Dangerous Drugs. Subject has one other DT contact with police. No address listed.
The subject failed to appear for his hearing, the judge issued a 90 day exclusion.
(18) 02/13/2012 Officer was patrolling the area of W Broadway & Olive, two males were standing on the NE corner leaning against a cement planter smoking what appeared to be a small, mostly burnt hand-rolled cigarette – upon closer observation he realized it was Marijuana. Subject admitted he was “smoking a joint”. Upon arrival at the jail a deputy found a small baggie containing approx. 1 gram of Marijuana. Subject is currently wanted stemming from this incident. Subject has had 9 separate contacts with police downtown. No known address The subject’s exclusion order was dismissed per a Municipal Court Judges Judicial Discretion.
(19) 02/15/2012 Officer observed three subjects in the West Park blocks at the benches from
approx. 100 ft away, he observed one subject light up and smoke from a MJ pipe which was passed from subject to subject. The location of the three subjects was less than 1000’ from Peace Village School located at 965 Oak Aly. Upon contact the officer asked if they had any more drugs on them, one of the subjects stated he had some hashish in his pocket, another had a MJ pipe in his pocket. Subject was given a notice to show cause and the charges went through Circuit Court which dismissed the charges due to lack of resources. No exclusion order was ever granted. Subject has had 4 separate contacts with police downtown and has no address available. The subject requested a hearing; Circuit Court dismissed the charges; no exclusion given.
(20) 03/02/2012 Subject was stopped by a downtown officer for walking against a red light at W. 10th and Olive Street at 3 PM. Other persons standing near the man obeyed the red light; they were not stopped. A routine records check revealed the man had a felony warrant for possession of methamphetamine from Coos County. The man was also in possession of a meth pipe. The man has an extensive criminal record that includes possession of methamphetamine, thefts, and violations of park rules and unlawful use of a vehicle. The officer issued him a notice of exclusion based on his being in possession of a methamphetamine pipe, and the fact that at the time of this encounter, there were dozens of pedestrians in the area including minors. The man was also within 1000 feet of the Peace Village Network Charter School.
The officer provided him with a DPSZ brochure and explained to him its content, including the advocacy program. The subject’s exclusion order was dismissed per a Municipal Court Judges Judicial Discretion.
(21) 03/16/2012 Officer attempted to make contact with a subject sitting on the back of a park bench with his feet on the seating portion, the bench was located in the Park Blocks. When the officer made contact the subject jumped off the bench and started walking away, as the officer continued to request the subject to stop he began to run so the officer advised him to stop as he was under arrest; the subject continued to run and was eventually captured at Broadway Plaza. Subject stated he ran because he thought he was wanted which he was not. Subject was subsequently arrested for Escape III, Interfering w/PO, DC II and resisting arrest through Circuit Court. Prior to this incident subject had four separate contacts with police downtown. Subject has no known address. The subject’s exclusion order was dismissed per a Municipal Court Judges Judicial Discretion.
(22) On April 7th an officer investigated the complaint of Physical Harassment in which a 17-year-old female victim said she was abused by a 26-year-old male. The suspect, who was not known to the victim and the victim’s friend, approached the two on the plaza at Broadway and Willamette. According to the girls, the suspect asked them for marijuana then embraced the 17 year old victim. He rubbed her back and held her firmly as she struggled to get away from him and as she demanded that he let her go. While holding the girl he said he wanted to have sexual intercourse with her. After a few minutes the girls were able to escape the suspect and contact Police. The suspect was found by officers sitting next to the heater vent in the alley behind the Downtown Athletic Club directly next to a no trespassing sign. The suspect was arrested for Criminal Trespass and Physical Harassment. The suspect is currently on State Probation for Assault-2, a felony, stemming for an EPD arrest. Suspect is an Asian male, age 26, no address, previous arrests. He requested a hearing and a 90 day exclusion was imposed by the court.
(23) 04/09/2012 On April 9th a patrol officer responded to the library in response to a complaint in which two victims, one a 17 year old girl and the other an 18 year old woman said they had been subjected to unwanted physical contact. The suspect turned out to be a 48 year old man known to police. According to the victims, the suspect approached them while they were in the alley behind the Downtown Athletic Club. Shortly upon approaching them he made explicit comments to the victims suggesting that they engage in a sexual act with him. He stroked the thighs of both victims. Both victims were frightened by the encounter and as they walked from the suspect he stroked the adult
victim again, this time on the shoulder. The victims contacted a downtown guide who notified the police. The officer found the suspect in the downtown area based on the description provided by the victims. In the course of the investigation the officer developed probable cause to believe the suspect had committed the crimes alleged and cited him for three counts of Physical Harassment. The man has an extensive record with a history of violence, much of it involving domestic abuse. He has arrests for Criminal Trespass in the second degree, possession of Marijuana, Harassment, Disorderly Conduct, Sexual Abuse in the second degree, Criminal Mischief in the second degree, Unlawful Use of a Weapon, Carrying a Concealed Weapon (Firearm) and Recklessly Endangering. The investigating officer delivered the defendant’s copy of the exclusion request to the suspect together with the brochure with a map, and the advocate’s card. The suspect is a white male, age 48, no address, previous arrests.
The subject appeared for his hearing and the judge granted a 90 day exclusion.
(24) 04/14/2012 Officer observed a group of individuals in the middle of the street at approx. 8th & Willamette in what appeared to be an altercation, as he approached he saw the subject pull back his arm and punch another individual in the face knocking him unconscious. Subject was arrested for Assault & Disorderly Conduct, prior to officers arrival subject was observed hitting a business window and a parking meter, when bystanders attempted to calm the subject he punched the same individual that the officer observed being punched. Subject was given a notice to show cause, upon Sergeant’s review of the report it was determined that it did not rise to the level of an exclusion as subject had no prior contacts downtown so the show cause
notice was withdrawn via memo. Subject resides in Springfield. The notice to show cause was withdrawn via memo from EPD to Eugene Municipal Court and the charges are still pending.
(25) 04/17/2012 On April 17th at about three in the afternoon downtown officers were dispatched to the methadone clinic at W. 7th and Lincoln where a 24 year old man had threatened to stab others with a knife. Officers detained the suspect, and learned what happened from the two victims and witnesses. According to those involved, the suspect had accompanied his adult domestic partner, a 25-yea- old woman, to the methadone clinic where she is a client. The two became involved in a heated argument and she tried to walk away from him. Two men who were in town on business approached the woman to protect her. One of the men shielded her from the suspect who, holding a knife in his hand threatened, to cut them. Following a verbal exchange the suspect ran from the area. The suspect was
arrested for two counts of Menacing with a knife and one count of Disorderly Conduct.
The suspect has an extensive criminal record that includes arrests for misdemeanor and felony
property crimes and one charge of domestic violence. The arresting officer requested a 90 day
exclusion and a 1 year exclusion upon conviction for menacing and disorderly conduct. The suspect is white, male, with a Springfield address, extensive local record for misdemeanor and felony property crimes. The subject appeared for their hearing and was given a 90 day exclusion and upon conviction subject was issued a 1 year exclusion.
(26) 04/25/2012 Just before 4 a.m. on April 25 a downtown sergeant was patrolling the park blocks when he saw three subjects dressed in black walking away from freshly painted graffiti. Following an investigation, the subjects were cited and released for Criminal Mischief and given a show cause order. This subject had one previous contact in the downtown area and gave an address in Eugene.
(27) 04/25/2012 The second subject had no prior contacts downtown and gave an address in
(28) 04/25/2012 The third subject has 2 prior contacts downtown and gave an address in Eugene. The Notice to Shown Cause paperwork was withdrawn by EPD managers prior to filing on all three
subjects (26, 27 and 28).
(29) 05/25/2012 On the afternoon of May 25, one of our downtown officer and a downtown guide watched what appeared to be a hand-to-hand drug deal near the park at 820 Oak St. Based on their observations, the officer and guide contacted the people involved in the transaction and during the investigation obtained physical evidence and statements to support their suspicions. The individual who they observed purchase marijuana was charged with possession of less than an ounce of marijuana within 1000 feet of a school. An exclusion order was not requested for this individual. The exclusion request was made for the suspect charged with Delivery of a Controlled Substance within 1000 feet of a school. Before the arrest in this case the suspect had been arrested for delivery of marijuana within 1000 feet
of a school, possession of marijuana within 1000 feet of a school, Criminal Trespass in the second degree, and delivery of marijuana for consideration. The suspect is of unknown race, male, age 21, self-identified as homeless The subject failed to appear for their hearing and the judge issued a 90 day exclusion.
(30) 06/11/2012 Shortly after the noon hour on June 11 officers were dispatched to a disorderly
subject near Broadway and Willamette. A woman said that as she sat at a table in front of Voodoo Donuts a subject walked by and spoke to a 10 month old child in her care. When she asked him to not speak to the child the subject turned, lowered his pants and exposed his genitals to them. The subject was arrested for two counts of Public Indecency.
The subject has had 8 separate contacts with police in the downtown area Managers attempted to withdraw the exclusion request but the notice to show cause was dismissed for inapplicable charge before that could be done.
(31) 06/14/2012 Officer were dispatched to the Park Blocks regarding an assault, subject contacted in the W Park block denied involvement but comp (not victim) positively identified him. Subject had a valid park restriction on file and was lodged for Criminal Tresspass and Assault was witnessed by a father & his two daughters travelling through Eugene on their way home in Washington State but victim was not located. Subject is currently wanted for 4 MC warrants for FTA, 2 from this incident. Subject has 14 separate contacts with police downtown, several being for DC, CT and menacing. No address is listed. The subject’s exclusion order is pending conviction for a possible one year exclusion.
(32) 06/16/2012 On June 16, a woman’s wallet was stolen from her purse while she was at the LTD transfer station at W. 10th Ave and Olive St. The suspect used the victim’s credit cards and through our investigation was identified. After he was lodged at the Lane County Jail for Third Degree Theft, Identify Theft and Fraudulent Use of a Credit Card, one of our downtown officers checked on his history. As it turns out, the suspect, a 32-year-old man, sexually assaulted a 15 year-old girl near the Owen Rose Garden a few days after stealing the wallet. The suspect was charged with Sodomy and Public Indecency as a result of that incident. The suspect also has previous local arrests for Criminal Trespass, Strangulation, Consuming Liquor on Unlicensed Premises, Criminal Mischief, Physical Harassment, Theft, Urinating or Defecating in Public,
Contempt of Court, Giving False Information to a Police Officer, Violation of a Protective Order, Fourth Degree Assault, Interfering with the Making of a Police Report (domestic violence), Coercion, Kidnapping, Burglary, Menacing (domestic violence), Contempt of Court, Telephonic Harassment and Disorderly Conduct. The suspect is a black male, age 32, no residential address. The subject was issued a notice to show cause which was dismissed by the city prosecutor as the offense was not on the 90 days exclusion list. Circuit Court convicted the subject of ID theft but dropped the Theft 3 which would have led to a 1 year exclusion.
(33) 06/29/2012 Around 9pm on June 29th a police sergeant was bicycling through the park blocks when he noticed a subject smoking marijuana. The suspect, when contacted by the sergeant provided a name that officers later learned was false. The subject was arrested for violation of our park rules (possession of less than an ounce of marijuana) and placed in the county jail. Jail personnel learned his true identity and found that warrants had been issued for his arrest for Possession of Less than an Ounce of Marijuana, and Delivery of Marijuana within 1000 Feet of a School. The subject was also in possession of a syringe and exhibited symptoms of recent heroin use. The subject has an extensive local record that includes arrests and citations for possession of heroin, possession of marijuana, criminal trespass, consuming alcohol on unlicensed premises, Failure to Appear, Unlawful Delivery of Marijuana to a Juvenile, Theft, Harassment and Disorderly Conduct. The suspect is a white male, age 26, no address.
This subject was sentenced to prison and a one year exclusion was granted.
(34) 07/05/2012 On July 5, officers were called to the location of a theft at 99 W. Broadway. The
suspect had tried to walk out of the store with food he didn’t pay for and then damaged property in the store when the food was taken from him. Officers found the suspect a short distance away. When contacted the suspect became violent and assaulted one of the officers. He was arrested for Theft, Criminal Mischief, Assault and Resisting Arrest. The suspect has previous arrests for Parole Violations, Criminal Trespass, Resisting Arrest, Prohibited Camping and Assault IV (Felony). The suspect is a white male, age 20, no residential address.
The subject requested a hearing but failed to appear, the Judge issued a 90 day exclusion.
(35) 07/07/12 On July 7, a Eugene Police officer was driving by the Park Blocks when he heard what sounded like an argument and a subject being slapped. As a security officer waved the officer over, the Eugene police officer saw a man and woman in an altercation. According to a witness, the man had struck the woman in the head at least once. As the police officer approached the two subjects, the male suspect fled. When the officer began to pursue him the suspect yelled vulgarities at the officer and the woman stepped in front of the officer to block his way. Other officers arrived and helped to control the two intoxicated subjects. Officers arrested both for Disorderly Conduct. Because the male suspect had been seen striking the woman he was also charged with Physical Harassment. As he was taken into custody he fought with officers, which led to an addition charge of Resisting Arrest. The suspect has previous arrests for Harassment (domestic violence), Parole Violation, Inhaling Toxic Vapors, Burglary, Theft, Minor in Possession of Alcohol, Criminal Mischief and Assault in the Fourth Degree (Felony/domestic violence). The suspect is a white male, age 23, with a West Eugene address.
The subject appeared for their hearing and the judge signed a 90 day exclusion order.
(36) 07/07/2012 On July 7, a Eugene Police downtown officer saw a subject standing on the
sidewalk near Broadway and Olive drinking from a can of beer while blocking the way of people
passing by. The subject has chronically consumed alcoholic beverages in public places in the
downtown area. He was arrested for Possession and Consumption of Alcohol on Unlicensed
Premises. The suspect has more than 40 arrests for Consuming Alcohol on Unlicensed Premises, more than 30 arrests for Disorderly Conduct and 40 arrests for Trespassing. He has also been arrested a number of times for each of the following: Interfering with a Police Officer, Criminal Mischief, Physical Harassment, Menacing, Resisting Arrest and Violation of the Downtown Public Safety Zone. He has been arrested at least once for the charges of Possession of Heroin, Robbery, Intimidation, Urinating/Defecating in Public, Noise Disturbance and Escape from Custody. The suspect is a white male, age 38, no residential address.
The subjects charge was upon conviction for one year – court dismissed charges
(37) 07/10/2012 On July 10, downtown officers were called to the location of two subjects in an alley. The complainant believed the subjects were in possession of a bottle of an alcoholic beverage. When officers contacted the two men they learned that one had an outstanding warrant for his arrest. Officers searched the subject and found that he was in possession of nearly two ounces of marijuana (a felony), more than $200 in cash and a bottle of bourbon.
The subject was arrested and charged with Unlawful Possession of Controlled Substance and Consuming Alcohol on Unlicensed Premises. He was also arrested under authority of a warrant stemming from a parole violation. Officers requested a 90-day-exclusion. The subject has previous arrests for Criminal Trespass, Parole Violation, Consuming Liquor on Unlicensed Premises, Littering, Park Rules Violation, Disorderly Conduct, Theft, Unlawful Entry into a
Motor Vehicle, Criminal Mischief, Resisting Arrest, Forgery, Carrying a Concealed Weapon, Possession of Burglary Tools, Possession of a Forged Instrument, Possession of Heroin, Attempt to Deliver Heroin and Unlawful Delivery of Marijuana. The suspect is a white male, age 36, no residential address. The subject failed to appear for their hearing and a 90 day exclusion was granted by the judge.
(38) 07/18/2012 In the afternoon of July 18 a downtown officer saw an adult man mingling with a
number of teenagers in the Park Blocks. The man was contacted when he violated one of the posted park rules. The officer ran a record check on the 26 year old man and found that there was a warrant for his arrest. It was also determined that he was in the park in violation of an administrative park restriction. He is currently on probation for possession of heroin and Marijuana Delivery within 1000 feet of a school. Following the arrest, officers discovered that the subject was in possession of heroin, marijuana and accouterments of marijuana distribution. He was arrested for the warrant, Trespassing (violating a park restriction), possession of heroin, and unlawful distribution of marijuana within 1000 feet of a school. The subject has a local criminal record that includes 45 arrests in which he was lodged in the jail, and 26 arrests in which he received a citation in lieu of being lodged at jail. His arrests have been for Possession of Marijuana, Giving False Information to a Police Officer for a Citation, Violation of Park
Rules, Delivery of Marijuana within 1000 feet of a School, Criminal Trespass, Consuming Liquor on Unlicensed Premises, Failure to Appear, Delivery of Marijuana to a Juvenile (two separate incidents not including that which led to his arrest on the 18th), Theft of Lost or Mislaid Property, Physical Harassment and Disorderly Conduct. He is a white male, age 26, Eugene resident.
The subject was sent to prison and upon conviction a one year exclusion was granted.
(39) 07/19/2012 On July 19 a downtown officer saw a subject he recognized and who he was aware had violated a restraining order during a recent incident. Two officers contacted the subject and verified that he had violated the order and needed to be arrested. During the arrest the subject attempted to flee and violently fought with officers. As he was struggling officers discovered he had an illegal switch blade tucked in the waistband at the back of his trousers. After the subject was handcuffed and he calmed down somewhat, a search revealed that he was in possession of nine individually packaged portions of marijuana and several twenty dollar bills. He was lodged in the Lane County Jail and charged with Violation of a Restraining Order, Resisting Arrest, Escape, Carrying a Concealed Weapon, and unlawful delivery of a controlled substance. The arresting officer asked that the court consider a 90 day exclusion. The subject has previously been on probation for Coercion and Assault 4 (felony). He has been
arrested locally for Criminal Mischief twice, Violation of Park Rules once, Criminal Trespassing three times, Violation of Restraining Order four times, Assault five times, Coercion once, Delivery of a Controlled Substance twice, Public Indecency once, Physical Harassment twice, Escape once (in addition to the new incident), Interfering with a Police Officer, Identity Theft, and Supplying Contraband – knife (to a correction facility). The subject is a black male, age 40, Eugene address. The subject failed to request a hearing, the judge granted a 90 day exclusion.
(40) 08/04/2012 On August 4 at about 2:50 am officers contacted a subject on the street near
Broadway and Charnelton who had been involved in a dispute. In an effort to recover property
belonging to the other party to the dispute the subject allowed our officer to check his backpack. The backpack contained a bag of nearly 3 ounces of marijuana, and a set of digital scales. The subject was arrested for Unlawful Delivery of Marijuana (felony) and Unlawful Possession of Marijuana and lodged in the jail. The subject has two previous arrests for Menacing (domestic violence). The subject is a male of unknown race, age 23, with a West Eugene address.
The subject failed to request a hearing, the judge granted a 90 day exclusion.
(41) 08/04/2012 On August 4 at about 2 am a bouncer working in a bar at Broadway and Olive saw a subject that he recognized enter the establishment. The subject, who has a history of committing crimes such as Disorderly Conduct, Trespassing, and Consuming Alcohol on Unlicensed Premises, had been trespassed from that and other downtown area bars. The bouncer ordered the subject to leave and initially he complied. A short time later the subject returned and challenged the bouncer to a fight. Just outside the bar the subject circled the bouncer who prepared to defend himself when a downtown officer spotted the encounter and yelled to them identifying herself as a police officer. When he bouncer turned to the officer, the subject hurled an unopened 16oz can of beer at the bouncer’s head, narrowly missing. It was later learned he had stolen the beer can and one other from a nearby market. Following his arrest the officer found a bag of marijuana in the subject’s pocket. He was lodged in the jail for Disorderly Conduct, Criminal Trespass, and Theft and issued a citation for
possession of less than an ounce of marijuana. The subject was issued a notice for a 90 day, pre-trial exclusion.
The subject is on probation for possession of cocaine. He has previously been arrested for Failure to Appear eight times, Criminal Mischief twice, Hit and Run three times, Assault four times, DUII once, Disorderly Conduct three times, Consume Liquor on Unlicensed Premises twice, Giving False Information to Police once, Reckless Driving, Possession of a Stolen Vehicle and auto theft, Contempt of Court – violation of a restraining order, Physical Harassment, Kidnapping (strong-arm), and Interfering with a Police Officer. The subject is a white male, ae 25, with a Southwest Eugene address. The subject failed to appear for their hearing, the judge granted a 90 day exclusion.
(42) 08/08/2012 On the afternoon of August 8th, a downtown bike officer contacted the man for
smoking marijuana from a glass pipe in the West Park blocks in a group of juveniles. Subject was lodged for Unlawful Possession of a Controlled Substance Schedule 1, Unlawful Delivery of a Controlled Substance Schedule 1 X2 and Endangering the Welfare of a Minor.
The man is on current post-prison supervision for Sexual Abuse 1, which he has absconded from. He is a white male, age 41, no address given. Awaiting disposition from Circuit Court – will request 1 year exclusion upon conviction.
(43) 08/08/2012 On August 8 at 5:30 pm our downtown officers saw a group of subjects sitting
together in the Park Blocks passing a marijuana pipe and smoking from it. The adult subjects
contacted by officers had been seen sharing the pipe with a fourteen year old boy who also smoked marijuana from it. The subject who handed the pipe directly to the child was arrested for Unlawful Delivery of Marijuana to a Minor (felony) and Unlawful Possession of Less than an Ounce of Marijuana within 1000 feet of a school. He has one previous arrest locally for Possession of a Controlled Substance. He is a white male, age 26, did not report having a home address. The DA’s office did not file charges due to its reduced resources and exclusions were dismissed.
(44) The second subject was arrested for Unlawful Delivery of a Controlled Substance, Possession of Less than an Ounce of Marijuana, and Violation of Park Rules.
He has no previous arrest record in the area. He is a white male, age 22, and did not report having a home address. The DA’s office did not file charges due to its reduced resources and exclusions were dismissed.
(45) A third subject, who had also smoked from the pipe and passed it to others, initially gave a false name to officers. When he eventually provided his true name it was learned he is a registered sexual offender. He was arrested for Violation of Park Rules, Giving False Information to Police, Failure to Report as a Sexual Offender, Delivery of a Controlled Substance to a Minor, Possession of Marijuana within 1000 feet of a school and on an arrest warrant for Incest with a Minor. This subject has previously been arrested in the area for Burglary once, Failure to Register as a Sexual Offender three times, Theft once and Sexual Abuse (arrest warrant) once. He is a white male, age 19, and did not report having a home address. The DA’s office did not file charges due to its reduced resources and exclusions were dismissed.
(46) 08/09/2012 During the afternoon hours of August 9th an officer stopped a subject for a
pedestrian violation near Broadway and Oak Street. The subject gave what the officer concluded was a false name. Interestingly, the subject suggested the officer go through his backpack to locate something with his name on it. Our officer did not find any identification in the bag but did discover a straw that had apparently been used to consume drugs that field tested positive for methamphetamine. Eventually the subject gave the officer his true name. Through a records check the officer learned there was an arrest warrant for the subject for probation violation (probation violation Burglary in the first degree and Burglary in the second degree). The subject was arrested for the warrant and also charged with Possession of Methamphetamine, Giving False Information to a Police Officer and Sex Offender Failure to Report. The subject has an extensive juvenile record. He is a white male, age 20, with a Eugene address. The subject failed to appear for his hearing and a 90 day exclusion was granted.