As smoke from wildfires fills the Willamette Valley, the City of Eugene invites individuals to take a breather in air conditioned libraries and community centers
All three Eugene Public Library locations are air conditioned. The current hours of operation are:
- The Downtown Library, 100 West 10th Ave., is open 10 a.m. - 8 p.m., M-Th, and 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. F-Su
- The Bethel Branch Library, 1990 Echo Hollow Rd., and Sheldon Branch Library, 1566 Coburg Rd., are open 12 p.m - 8 p.m. Tues, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. M,W,Th,F & Sa; closed Sundays.
The City operates five community centers Monday through Friday that are air conditioned. The hours of operation and locations of those centers are:
- Amazon Center, 2700 Hilyard St., 9 a.m.-5 p.m., M-F
- Campbell Center, 155 High St. 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., M-F
- Hilyard Center, 2580 Hilyard St., 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m., M-F
- Petersen Barn Center, 870 Berntzen Rd., 9 a.m.-5 p.m., M-F
- River House Center, 301 No. Adams St., Noon-4 p.m., M-F
Due to hazardous air quality, Amazon Pool and Echo Hollow Pool will be closed September 5. All swim programs and activities are closed for the day. Sheldon Pool is closed for maintenance September 3-17.
If you are able to purchase a personal respirator, the N95 face mask removes 95% of very small particles and will provide you with better air in a smoky environment. For additional suggestions to improve air quality in your home, click here.
Caring for your pets
Smoke can also be harmful to pets. Try to keep your pets inside as much as possible and make sure they have lots of water. If your pet has trouble breathing, contact your vet.