Eugene Police Department has had a report that on November 18, a 15-year-old girl got off an LTD bus at 4400 Fox Hollow Road and a man exited the bus at the same time. He walked behind her, including down a private driveway. The man walked away as neighbors arrived in the area. The man never spoke to or acknowledge the girl and she did not recognize him.
The man is described as white, in his 30s, and 5’7” to 5’9” tall, bald or with short-cropped hair, and last seen wearing a long-sleeved top and pants.
If anyone has information in the case they are asked to call 541.682.5111.
GENERAL PERSONAL SAFETY TIPS
- Do not get into someone’s car even if they display a weapon. It is better to fight back in the street where help is closer at hand and other people may hear your calls for help.
- Walk confidently and don’t avoid all eye contact because perpetrators can mistake this for fear and vulnerability, instead project awareness of your environment.
- Don’t let strangers into your ‘space.’ Keep plenty of distance between yourself and people you don’t wish to approach you.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times and eliminate distractions or items that limit your ability to scan your environment
- Don’t stop to talk with strangers asking for directions or other types of help as this can be a ploy to get close for an attack.
- If you feel you are in danger or being followed, call 9-1-1
- If grabbed, fight back and make as much noise as possible.
- Use the buddy system when walking after dark or in ‘fringe’ areas, which are places there are fewer people travelling, allowing them a chance to victimize you without chancing witnesses. You should know the person you are walking with well enough to trust them.
- Walk in lighted areas as much as possible and don’t walk too close to bushes, alleyways or other places where attackers can conceal themselves.