Local organizations are gearing up to celebrate Bike Month. The cities of Eugene and Springfield and area partners are offering activities all month long related to bicycling. People can take part in organized bike rides, speakers, workshops, and much more.
Established in 1956, National Bike Month is an opportunity to showcase the many benefits of bicycling such as enjoying the outdoors, using healthy transportation options to commute to and from work, and promoting tourism and economic development. See the community bike calendar for a list of events.
Eugene Mayor Lucy Vinis proclaimed May is Bike Month at the April 15 City Council meeting. The City of Springfield kicked off activities with Mayor Lundberg’s May is Bike Month proclamation at the April 15 City Council meeting.
Eugene: Breakfast at the Bike Bridges Series Opening Event
- Date: Tuesday, May 14
- Time: 7-9:30 a.m.
- Location: Peter DeFazio Bridge
- Activity: Grab a quick bite to eat and a cup of coffee, meet City staff, learn about transportation options in Eugene, and receive a free bicycle safety check.
Springfield: Wheels by the Willamette
- Date: Friday, May 17
- Time: 4-6 p.m.
- Location: Boat ramp on the Northbank Path at Aspen and West D Street
- Activity: The event promotes walking and biking as healthy transportation options and features free bicycle safety checks, bicycle and pedestrian materials (i.e. bike maps, visibility supplies, etc.), and refreshments.
For Businesses Targeting Bicyclists
To wrap-up May is Bike Month events, the cities will host two events for those businesses targeting bicyclists:
Eugene: Bike Friendly Business Breakfast
- Date: Wednesday, June 5
- Time: 7:30-9:30 a.m.
- Location: Eugene Area Chamber of Commerce
- Activity: Learn more
Springfield: Bike Friendly Business Movie Night
- Date: Monday, June 3
- Time: 6:30-8 p.m.
- Location: Springfield City Hall
- Activity: Learn more and RSVP
Area restaurants, hotels, bike shops, and other retailers are welcomed to attend the events to learn more about the benefits of bike tourism, how to be a bike friendly business, and for assistance submitting a free application to Travel Oregon for recognition.
Additional Ways to Celebration Bike Month
- PeaceHealth Rides is offering free rides. During the entire month of May, new and existing users on the monthly payment plan can ride for FREE up to one hour each day for no charge.
- For monthly users, use code BikeMonth19 to get a $15 credit added to your account.
- For UO monthly users, use code UOBikeMonth19 to get a $5 credit added to your account.
- CycloFemme, the Ride of Silence, NeighborRide, and BicyClean are some of the great rides throughout the month. Community members are encouraged to organizer their own fun ride and post it on WeBikeLane.org.
- Springfield Public Library will hold several bicycle themed story times and activities throughout the month of May.