A middle-school age male youth has reported an attempt kidnapping at Fox Hollow and Larkspur at 8:09 a.m. today, June 12. He reported a man in his mid-60s grabbed him from behind. The youth reported being able to get away and then subsequently reported the incident.
The suspect is described as in his 60s with gray, shoulder-length hair, grey stubble, and a heavy build. He is associated with a silver Mercedes sedan that looks a little like an SUV. The youth reported the Mercedes had black cardboard in the back windows and dent in the front and rear bumper.
Police are investigating the incident.
If anyone has relevant tips in the incident they are asked to call 541.682.5111.
GENERAL PERSONAL SAFETY TIPS
- Do not get into someone’s car even if they display a weapon. It is better to fight back in the street where help is closer at hand and other people may hear your calls for help.
- Walk confidently and don’t avoid all eye contact because perpetrators can mistake this for fear and vulnerability, instead project awareness of your environment.
- Don’t let strangers into your ‘space.’ Keep plenty of distance between yourself and people you don’t wish to approach you.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times and eliminate distractions or items that limit your ability to scan your environment
- Don’t stop to talk with strangers asking for directions or other types of help as this can be a ploy to get close for an attack.
- If you feel you are in danger or being followed, call 9-1-1
- If grabbed, fight back and make as much noise as possible.
- Use the buddy system when walking after dark or in ‘fringe’ areas, which are places there are fewer people travelling, allowing them a chance to victimize you without chancing witnesses. You should know the person you are walking with well enough to trust them.
- Walk in lighted areas as much as possible and don’t walk too close to bushes, alleyways or other places where attackers can conceal themselves.