Welcome to The Best Things We’ve Seen This Week – Vol. 10! Now that we’re one week into Phase 1 of Oregon Governor Kate Brown’s plan for reopening, we are excited and grateful to be hard at work planning for how we can welcome you back into fun summer programming.
Childcare is one program we already have up and running at Amazon, Petersen Barn and Sheldon community centers. You can register your kiddos online or call 541-682-5312. And check out this new video highlighting our amazing child care staff as they reflect on providing childcare for essential workers over the past few months. You all rock.
Mark your calendars for 9 a.m. June 8, when registration for our summer camps will open. Keep a close eye on GetRec.org and our Facebook for more information.
Even as we reopen, it remains important to not forget why we are all home in the first place, so our first link every week is to a resources page on the City of Eugene website where you can find the latest information on what the City is doing, key resources and related information.
While you enjoy this weekend’s warmer weather and visions of the summer sunshine ahead, check out these things that have put smiles on our faces this week. Our first pick can’t help but make you feel good: southern Vegan Tabitha Brown’s TikTok videos that have become a viral sensation. Because sometimes you just need a hug.
(A screenshot from Tabitha Brown’s YouTube channel)
- While we look forward to traveling to all our favorite outdoor spots once again, explore the virtual outdoors from beaches to snow slopes with Travel Oregon. You won’t want to miss the adorable otter pic.
- Speaking of outdoors, May is National Water Safety Month. No time like the present to brush up on your knowledge with these quick water safety videos.
- If you’re as starved for live sports as the rest of us, this marble racing league (yes, you read that right) is amazing. Check out John Oliver’s hilariously enthusiastic support starting at 16:40 of this past week’s Last Week Tonight.
- Speaking of sports, this cat goalkeeper hasn’t wasted quarantine. It’s in top form.
- Meanwhile some cats are taking the slightly more dignified path as literary icons.
- Now we can’t neglect you dog-lovers. We discovered Snoop Dogg is just like the rest of us and chills out to "Let It Go".
- Eurovision is an awesome international music competition held yearly since 1956. This year, it was forced to go viral and it created a cool home concert series that can introduce us to a bunch of different styles.
- Speaking of different styles, here’s the 2007 Eurovision runner-up, Ukraine’s Verka Serduchka with Dancing Lasha Tumbai. A side of music we guarantee you have not yet seen today…or maybe ever.
- On a more serious and uplifting side of the musical spectrum, we bring you David Bryne performing with the Brooklyn Youth Chorus.
- Sometimes we all need a bit of support with life’s little tasks. Here’s a dad who provides some simple ”How Do I” videos in Dadvice.
- And for you dads (and moms) looking for one more way to get crafty with your kids, you can make your very own pinhole camera.
Let’s head into the weekend with a smile
And one more thing...
We bring you to your peaceful center with this relaxing nature video. What, are cow bells not your jam? Have no fear, you can enjoy dozens of other outdoor Zen experiences from campfires to crickets.
Have a good weekend everyone.