News Home
The original item was published from 6/7/2020 9:05:36 PM to 9/4/2020 1:49:58 PM.



Posted on: June 7, 2020

[ARCHIVED] June 7 Protest Details

There was a protest around noon today, that gathered at the Wayne Morse Free Speech Plaza. Eugene Police sent out a traffic advisory for the area of Pearl to Willamette and Broadway to 7th to facilitate safety for pedestrian traffic in the area. These streets had become congested with pedestrians headed toward the plaza, which quickly filled with an estimated 1,200 people. 


A march with about 1,500 people began from the free speech plaza around 1:40 p.m. The group left the free speech plaza and marched to UO campus’ Deady Hall, where they stayed for a period of time and most dispersed from that location. There was a group of about 300 continuing to march. 


EPD put out another traffic advisory at 3:10 p.m., when that group of protesters came down County Club Road to rally in front of the Eugene Police headquarters. The protesters had a demonstration and rally. There were speeches and participants held signage. They also taped posters and fliers to the boards over the front windows, or applied spray paint, where earlier in the day a community group had written messages of care for officers and taped up hearts. 


During this protest, several individuals emerged with different motivations and vandalized a portion of the Eugene Police Headquarters building front with anti-police messaging.


“There is a difference between the free speech rally of the larger group of protesters we saw, and the few individuals who came to deface our police building,” said Chief Chris Skinner. “It is important that people know the difference. The larger Black Lives Matter protest group has been self-regulating, careful with traffic and holding rallies. Out of respect for the Black Lives Matter protesters and to avoid disrupting the larger, lawful, group, we refrained from taking any action to contact the unidentified individuals committing criminal acts against our police facility. I am disappointed with the actions of the few who came with ill intent and we will investigate this incident.”  


Eugene Public Works immediately came out to repair this damage once the crowd left at about 4 p.m. Some protesters went downtown for a short time, before dispersing at about 5 p.m. 


Facebook Twitter Email