(Posted Sept. 8, 7:30 a.m.)
Central Lane 911 has been receiving many calls regarding the smoke in the Eugene and surrounding region. Please do not call 911 about the smoke unless you see a specific source of a fire or smoke.
McKenzie Fire Updates and Evacuation Notices
Fire Safety Messages
- Avoid the area: Do not approach the area as fire crews are working to respond. Unnecessary traffic can cause delays and confusion during the response. Respect any road closures.
- Follow the evacuation notices: If you are under an evacuation notice, please comply with requests made for Level 1 (Be Ready), Level 2 (Be Set) and Level 3 (Go Now).
Air Quality Updates and Information
Smoke Safety Tips
- Stay indoors and keep windows and doors shut.
- Do not exercise outdoors.
- Be prepared for power loss by having flashlights, headlamps and candles available.
- If you have heart or lung disease or asthma, follow your healthcare provider’s advice.
How to Report Downed Trees
To report hazardous downed trees such as those blocking roadways please call 9-1-1 of its an emergency or 541-682-4800 on Mondays through Fridays, between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
To report other downed trees along streets and in medians please visit our Service Request Page and choose Tree Service Request or call 541-682-4800. In the early phase of storm response, we will use citizen reports to help dispatch crews. As roads are clear and driving becomes safe, City staff will canvas streets to identify and prioritize the response.
If a tree has been marked with paint on its trunk, it has already been identified by staff and does not need to be reported.
City crews will only respond to privately-owned trees if they pose an immediate threat to the public safety in the right-of-way. We do not perform work or offer consultation on private trees otherwise. Learn more on our Storm Response web page (see Tree Hazard Response tab).