What is the difference between a General Use Permit and Special Use Permit?

General Use Permits are for private, lower-impact events such a reunion, wedding, business meeting, or birthday party. Equipment allowed under a General Use Permit is limited to tables, chairs, a briquette and/or gas barbeques. Some stages, tents, and/or canopies may be permitted under a General Use Permit if they do not require additional City permits. Amplified music is limited to playing recorded music or making announcements that is at a level that is not disruptive to other park users or surrounding neighbors and businesses. 

Special Use Permits are for higher-impact events and/or an event that is open to the general public, involves a race/walk/run/bicycle/parade, use of amplified sound to play live music and/or dance performances, use of equipment such as canopies and/or tents that require additional City permits, food trucks, fencing, portable restrooms, inflatables, etc. Any event that requires additional City, County, or State permits, and/or certificate of insurance must obtain a Special Use Permit.

Depending on the size and scope of the event, having vendors, serving or selling alcohol and/or food may require a Special Use Permit.

Show All Answers

1. What is the difference between a General Use Permit and Special Use Permit?
2. What are the fees for a renting a shelter or open space in a City park?
3. Can I reserve an entire City park?
4. Which City parks have access to electricity or water?
5. What should I know if I want to set up canopies, tents, stages, inflatables, fencing, portable restrooms, or other equipment?
6. What are the additional permits that may be required to obtain?
7. When will I receive my General or Special Use permit?
8. What if I want to use amplified sound at my event?
9. What if I want to serve or sell alcohol at my event?
10. How can I participate as a vendor at an event?
11. Can I have fire a at my event?