City Facilities

View all facilities

Skinner Butte Park


  1. Ball fields
  2. Community garden
  3. Fishing
  4. Hiking Trail
  5. Looped path
  6. Off street bike / pedestrian path
  7. Parking lot
  8. Picnic tables
  9. Play area - ADA
  10. Public art
  11. Recreation center
  12. Restrooms
  13. Rock climbing
  14. Sand play
  15. Sports / Play field - informal
  16. Spray play
  17. Trailheads
  18. Veterans memorial
  19. Viewpoint
  20. Water spigot
Rock climbing


From the Ferry Street Bridge to the I-105 Bridge, between 3rd Avenue and the Willamette River


Skinner Butte Park is one of Eugene's oldest parks, and is rich with local history and recreational opportunities. Dedicated in 1914, Skinner Butte Park includes 100 acres of property along the Willamette River just north of downtown Eugene. It includes such noteworthy features as Skinner Butte, the Columns climbing area, RiverPlay Discovery Playground, Campbell Senior Center, Lamb Cottage, Skinner City Farm community garden, acres of lawn and meadows, hiking trails, bike paths, picnic areas, and much more.

Skinner Butte Park includes land claimed by Eugene Skinner, the first Euro-American settler of the southern Willamette Valley, and founder of Eugene. As the birthplace of the city and the modern community, Skinner Butte Park itself is a unique historical resource. Unquestionably, it is the most historically significant resource in the Eugene park system. There are also a number of significant cultural resources that persist within Skinner Butte Park, the most prominent of which include:

  • The Shelton-McMurphey-Johnson House 
  • Lamb Cottage 
  • The big “O” 
  • The big “E” 
  • W 2nd Avenue Skinner’s cabin marker 
  • Lincoln Street Skinner’s cabin marker (replaced) 
  • Basalt quarry
  • Skinner Butte (EWEB) Reservoir (1926)

Climbing Columns

The columnar basalt at the core of Skinner Butte was quarried towards the end of the 19th century and used throughout the region for everything from building foundations and steps to grave markers. The quarry was abandoned in the early 1930s.

The abandoned quarry became a popular public rock climbing area in the 1970s with an abundance of crack and face routes on 45-foot-high basalt columns. Spurred by community interest, a major volunteer effort to renovate the climbing area was undertaken in 2007.

Climbers Be Aware: 
  • The City of Eugene does not maintain any climbing hardware, including bolts. The City of Eugene makes no representations or warranties regarding the safety, reliability or suitability for use of any climbing anchors or other hardware at the Columns. 
  • Climbers are responsible for assessing the safety and integrity of any anchors or other hardware they plan to use. 
  • Participation in rock climbing involves inherent risks that cannot be eliminated regardless of the care taken to avoid injuries.

Planning Documents


Help activate the power of parks by getting involved with our volunteer program. Learn new skills, meet great people, and improve the quality of life in Eugene by helping to care for our parks and open spaces.

Park Rentals

Interested in reserving facilities at this location? View the park amenities, rental rates and available dates here. Learn more about the park rental processTo rent the ball field at this location, email the Recreation Division or call 541-682-5409.



Related Links